There are different types of input methods available in GNU/Linux OS:most common being the SCIM (Smart Common Input Method) and the IBus (Intelligent Input Bus) Method. Both the methods have their share of advantages and disadvantages. These methods also support multilingual input. IBus method can be used with conjunction with m17n database to input Indic languages such as Assamese (অসমীয়া), Bengali (বাংলা) and Hindi (हिन्दी), etc. This method supports transliteration (similar to phonetic) To set-up IBus in openSUSE 12.1 to input in languages like our Assamese (অসমীয়া) follow the following steps:
- Install ibus, ibus-gtk, ibus-m17n and m17n-contrib library using Software Management in Yast.
- Run Ibus from the application launcher.
- Ibus will configure itself on the first run to start at boot.
- Right-click on the Ibus icon on the system tray and select preferences>Input Method>Add your preferred Languages (see screenshot below).
- Enable or diasble Ibus by typing “Control+space”.
- You can change Languages by hitting “Alt+Shift(left)”.
অসমীয়া ভাষাত openSUSE 12.1 লিনাক্স্ OS আৰু IBus Input ব্যবহাৰ কৰি টাইপ্ কৰাৰ উদাহৰণ ।
Powered by Blogilo